Saturday, August 27, 2016

Trend: Chokers

top: F21; choker: free people; skirt: brooks brothers

Yep, I hit Forever 21 and got myself a new lace-up top (well, bodysuit actually). As I mentioned in my last post, the best necklace to wear with it (and what we wore in the 90s/00s with them) is a choker.

I've been seeing chokers on EVERYONE lately, IRL and online. I was obsessed with them when I was younger, often DIYing them from scraps of cloth and lace and leather. I saw a few chokers like the ones I made being sold in stores...like, it's the easiest thing in the world to DIY, especially if you have a bunch of scrap fabric.

Though I did buy the one above: it's chain mail, which I can't DIY. I'm really in to medieval stuff right now, so I couldn't resist. Probably a topic for another post, but I don't think it's just me. I saw chain mail at F21 the same day I bought the above top. The Lookbook person below has a choker and a sword necklace...for real, this was me in high school. Whenever I find my dorky sword necklace, I will do a post.

http://lookbook.nu/look/8379487-Black-Moon-Valyrian-Sword-Necklace-Tights-Witch

Chokers fell out of favor because, come on, they aren't very comfortable. Choker. Velvet, fabric, maybe leather would be the recommended materials for this jewelry: something with give, something breathable. The one I just got is metal, and I haven't worn it. The combination of heat and humidity will cause my skin to break out in rashes for sure. I haven't forgotten my summers of itchy red scales on my neck because I refused to take off my chokers.

http://lookbook.nu/look/8341548-Ladieshair-Black-Red-Wig-Morticia

During my cyberpunk years, I wrapped electrical cables/wires around my neck which was surprisingly pretty comfortable, if only because it was adjustable. Here's an photo from 2004, when I was really into photo-editing software and fancied myself an artist. But you get the idea...maybe.


I'm personally not a fan of wearing chokers--just way too uncomfortable for me. Except for tattoo chokers, which are. But I'm too stuffy to wear them at my age...it just reminds me too much of my teen years. Anyone else wearing/not wearing chokers?

edit: ok throwing in my spiked collar picture...with the hope these will come back into style like they did in the early 2010s. With the lace-up shirt and the spiked collar this definitely takes me back.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, rashes, yes...I used to wear chokers all the time as a teen too, so űI know what you mean^^ I still wear chokers sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo! I used to wrap black string around my neck when I was 14 in my anime days.
    I like chokers, I wear a tattoo choker almost all the time but that's about it. I love collars more, if there's something around my neck I might as well have studs on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah agreed. I love collars. I actually took a picture of me in one for this post, but for some reason in my mind there's a difference between the two. And there was a random resurgence of them in 2010ish for some reason

      Delete
  3. I like chokers but they don't suit me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wore a choker and/or dog collar for YEARS. I thought my neck look weird without them, but now I barely wear anything that tight to the neck...except going out on Friday I wore an old spiked collar.

    I love that you and I are riding the nostalgia wave ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not wear chokers that much either, mostly for the same reason as you that they can feel rather uncomfortable. I also have (hopefully had) an image that a choker will make my neck look very short. >_> Maybe I should see if I still think so. I hope you do a post about the Medieval inspired style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If spiked collars come back I am READY for it.......I have like 100 of them in my closet. (They sometimes come out for clubwear and that is likely where they shall stay!) I love your Free People choker, that is pretty fabulous. I have been wearing chokers occasionally but I feel like I am kind of getting too old for them or something. It is REALLY bizarre getting old and having stuff that you used to wear come back in style.

    ReplyDelete