Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Surprising Dark Fashion in Mainstream Stores

Gucci

The weather has been fantastic lately, and so I went to go check what's in the stores, since I've been out-of-touch lately. My first stop is the Gucci store (if that counts as "mainstream"). Everyone knocks off Gucci, so walking into this store is like stepping into the future. And the future is the 00s, I guess. Look at these zipper/strappy bondage **punk!!** pants and tell me these aren't from the 00s:


When those went out of style I converted a pair of mine into a jacket (which I now wish I didn't do). They were the strappiest, zipperiest bondage pants ever. Does anyone else remember sewing zippers onto everything?

Do you also remember putting spikes on everything? The first photo of this post has a lolita/victorian blouse with spikes on it...which is something a j-rock teen would do. Don't get me wrong...I think it's awesome. I love spikes on everything. I was just surprised to see an 00s goth look at Gucci. It's weird to see a look that you've "grown out of"--and that time has forgotten--treated as a serious thing at a serious high-fashion store.

Gucci

I've written about the horror of the uncanny in goth fashion before, and these really bizarre fetish shoes are some of the most original application of the uncanny I've seen. Basically, it's a somewhat normal high heel, but it's meant to be worn with this skin-tight latex sock. The nude-colored one on the left is especially uncanny--and therefore horrific--since your foot will look both natural and unnatural at the same time. Honestly there's a whole element of creepyness that needs to enter (reenter?) dark fashion.


At Topshop and goth superstore H&M, vinyl pants were the most surprising summer must-have (lol) as evidenced above. Wearing those pants in hot weather is a mistake everyone makes exactly once. I resisted the urge to buy a pair though...I love black shiny things. And I've got a Lip Service pair that I never wear!!

What was your favorite 00s trend?

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, I used to sew zippers/straps/bondage ring/chains on everything. I would find old plaid pants or skirts from a secondhand store and sew away. I also used to put spikes/studs on stuff and rip stuff and then pin it back together with safety pins. THOSE WERE THE DAYS, the early 00's were my favourite time period of fashion because I was in high school and had no actual problems or responsibilities and I could dress however I wanted with minimal consequences. I am excited to see some of this stuff coming back into style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what goth kids these days are diying...Painting pentagrams on everything? Oh wait, I know... Flower crowns

      Delete
  2. Hot pink latex socks with stiletto sandals? I'm obviously not sophisticated enough to understand haute couture. But at least I can feel more justified in wearing Halloween socks with mary janes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I love the latex sock idea...Minus the whole sweaty feet thing lol

      Delete
  3. indeed, indeed reminds of the 00's... and well, good and bad things coming from this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, yeah, those shoes are sure uncanny! :o

    I liked all the cute mini dresses in the 90s but they're too short to cover my butt now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urgh those shoes, looks like the sweatiest thing in the world! I've been browsing forever 21 too often than I care to admit lately, and I've seen see through neon colored belts.... like it's 2003 all over again!! I was literally shocked!

    ReplyDelete